Blog Archive

Monday, April 27, 2009

Long Night and Hospital Nightmares

I mentioned on Thursday and Saturday that Dan hasn't been feeling too well. Well, after I got off of work on Saturday I decided to take Dan to the hospital, especially because of all of the Swine Flu scares. I took him to the ER not too far from us, Adventist. It was the worst experience I have ever had with the medical industry. I don't think they took care of Dan as well as they should have. They sent us home with a diagnosis of pharyngitis (a sore throat), a prescription for amoxicillin, and attached to Dan's dispatch papers were dispatch papers for another patient who had sliced his hand open. I unattached them and gave them back to the receptionist at the front desk on my way out and she apologized. That is an unacceptable mistake for a hospital to make.
After all of that mess we went home and I just tried to have Dan relax and get some rest. About 1 in the morning he woke up, freaking out and nauseous. I took his temperature and it was 104.1
° (F). I knew he needed to get to a hospital, but I was not taking him to the same one as before. I searched for one online and found one a little out of our way but it was our only choice. It ended up being the best thing we could have done. As soon as we got there they took all of Dan's information and put him in a bed, took some blood and a urine sample and hooked him up to an IV. This new hospital diagnosed him with acute bronchitis and pneumonia, which is so far off from the first diagnosis, and sent us home with a prescription for azithromycin.

I am so angry with the first hospital and I have no intentions to pay them back for that hospital visit because they didn't even do anything. They didn't even leave him a call or panic button for him while he was in his hospital bed. It makes me so angry what some places can get away with and that they aren't being shut down. I will keep everyone updated about the billing situation and how I deal with it when that time comes along.

I have to go to work in the afternoon and I'm worried about leaving him home by himself all day. Hopefully he is a little bit better so that I can relax a little bit and know that he'll be able to handle himself.


2 comments: